Here are some very interesting insights from an article published in The National earlier this year, 30th January 2017, on 'Trends in UAE’s social media usage revealed'.
A survey by the Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority has revealed how UAE residents use social media.
- The poll revealed a difference in preference for social media platforms between the 5,000 Emiratis and residents questioned.
- [Emiratis] Free messaging service WhatsApp is by far the most used service, with 96 percent of Emiratis, followed by 78 percent using Instagram and 62 percent for Snapchat.
- [Emiratis] Facebook was one of least popular social media platforms among Emiratis at 58 percent.
- [Emiratis & Residents] The least used platforms were Snapchat and LinkedIn with 27 percent and 16 percent, respectively.
- [Emiratis & Residents] Despite the ubiquitous use of Twitter by celebrities and newly-elected US president Donald Trump, only 35 percent of those questioned said they used it.
What we were trying to find is the percentage of UAE Nationals on Social / Professional Social Media Platforms.
From the details provided by Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority, we can only draw the following conclusions based on a fair 50% Split of 5000 Emiratis and Residents surveyed.
- LinkedIn: 8% of Emiratis are using LinkedIn
- Twitter: 17.5% of Emiratis are using Twitter
- Facebook: 58% of Emiratis are using Facebook (as shown by the survey)
- Instagram: 78% of Emiratis are using Facebook (as shown by the survey)